Monday, January 9, 2012

Today I saved a life

Today I rescued my first dog from the E list (euthanasia list). I wasn't exactly looking to bring another dog in to foster but I just couldn't say no to this one. 

On I was browsing facebook this past weekend on Saturday afternoon when I stumbled upon a post that had an album named, "Dogs to be PTS (Put to sleep) on 1/9/2011 at 7am unless adopted. This wasn't the first time I have seen an album like this and it won't be the last but this time I decided to take a look at the dogs. It was the typical album of dogs in a county shelter (aka) canine jail. All of the pictures were taken with the chain link fence gate between the photographer and the dog. The dogs where all curled up in the corner laying on cold grey pavement and there wasn't a dog bed or toy in sight, and 80% of the dogs were pit bulls. I continued looking through the pictures with a heavy heart and then I got to this fella.
His eyes were so sad and his blanket was so thin. My heart sank, it looks like this poor guys has never been loved and before he had gotten the chance he was going to be sentenced to death. With a heavy heart I logged out out of facebook and tried to proceed with my day. I am well aware that I can't bring every animal into our home and I know it's not easy pulling animals out of county shelters unless you go in and adopt them which can be spendy. So, I went on with our day. That night when we went to bed I couldn't sleep. It not unusual for me to have trouble sleeping at night knowing so many animals are out there suffering and dying.

 It must have been pretty obvious because after staring at the ceiling for about 5 minutes my husband asked me what was going on and I told him about the dog I had seen earlier that day. 

His response, "Lets go get him then." 

I had to smile. Somehow I got lucky enough to have a man that supports my passion and loves me even though I am a crazy dog lady :) 

That was all I needed and I went on the the website and checked the shelters hours. M-F 9am-5pm and Saturdays 9am-2pm. Sundays CLOSED. I was furious! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME?! ALL shelters should be open during the weekend. Not only should they be open but they should be open as long as humanly possible so that the dogs can get as much exposure as possible and the people who want to adopt have the opportunity. I understand it costs money to keep the doors open but they could at least take two weeks days off and stay open on the weekends. Anyways thats besides the point. The issue now is that the shelter is closed and this dog was to be killed at 7am on Monday and the shelter doesn't open or answer phone calls until 8am.

I had my work cut out for me. I e-mailed and messaged the shelter and the group that posted the dog on facebook and finally got some shut eye. 

I patiently waited for a reply. By mid afternoon I had managed to get the shelter to put a hold on him and a rescue had agreed to pull him for me, after about 20 e-mails, which waved his $140 fee. FEW! 

There was only one thing left to do, pick up this fella on Monday afternoon after I got off of work. 

Not knowing what to expect Gracie and I drove the hour and a half to Casa Grande AZ to the county shelter with a kennel, a leach and collar and some dog treats. By 2pm we made it, after getting lost and talking to some nice, but slightly strange locals :) 

We got out of the car, walked in, signed some paperwork, they gave him his vaccinations and microchip and that was that. She told us to wait in the parking lot and that she would bring him out. And out they came :)

His description said that he was sad and shy.... not anymore! His tail was wagging a mile a minute when he saw me standing there with a yummy dog treat. I though I would have a hard time getting him in the kennel in the back of my truck but he jumped in it before I had even gotten the gate all the way open. To say the least this dog was happy to be getting he heck out of there. I wish I could have taken all of the other dogs that I could hear crying in the building but I had to keep saying to myself, saving 1 is better then non. 

Before I left, the lady who was helping me told me that this particular dog was found roaming outside of the local Fire House Bar and Grill. Then she joked that he just wanted a nice cold drink and some bar food. I smiled and looked at him and I knew I had just figured out what this beautiful boy's name would be. Chief. Every fire station has a chief and this boy was going to be the Chief of the Fire House Bar and Grill. 

Chief it is. 

We finally got home and I snapped a few pictures of him playing on the lawn. He was SO happy to stretch his legs and be on anything other then concrete. 


Thats one happy boy :) 

And tonight, even though I know the reality of what is happening everyday at the shelters, I will go to sleep knowing that this extremely deserving dog is alive. He is alive and today he was loved for hours and well fed and tonight he has a soft bed and tomorrow morning he will be greeted not by kennel workers, but by a family. The Winkelmans. And we are going to find this boy a home that he can call his own. 

To top off the end of this milestone day, this was Nick and my first rescue of 2012 and Gracie, our 7 month old daughter's first rescue EVER... well while she is out of the belly that is. I am guilty of rescuing a few while 8 and 9 months pregnant :) 

I will keep you posted on his progress! 

If you are interested in adopting or fostering Chief please contact me via e-mail at Brittany.Winkelman@gmail.com 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for helping out this beautiful boy!!! I wish there were more people like you and your husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are all doing this as a family. Your husbands response was priceless. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post lady! Cheif is truely a lucky puppy!

    ReplyDelete