Saturday, January 28, 2012

In the end, only Kindness matters



Roxy, our first rescue EVER.



In the end, only Kindness matters

The other day one of my good friends asked me a totally legitimate question, “Why do you always listen to the same song on Spotify?” 
Side note- Spotify is a website that allows you to listen to your favorite songs and then logs them onto your facebook profile.
 For those of you who know me well, you know that I LOVE music. I can appreciate almost all genres of music (I just can’t wrap my head around scream-o....) I can rattle off at least 50 songs right off the bat that I would typically look up in Spotify on any given day. So it was totally valid for this particular person to think it’s a bit odd that with the thousands of choices I would continue to pick just one song, over and over again. 
Here’s why. 
The song is “Hands” by Jewel. 
I have always loved Jewel, and I have always been particularly found of “Hands.” But I have recently fallen in love with the song all over again and for an entirely new reason. I think it’s safe to say that we all listen to music for different reasons. Some use it to get pumped up for a workout or a big game, some use it to morn a loss or bring back an old memory. There are those who only listen to the instruments and the melody and completely ignore the lyrics and the true meaning/ inspiration of the song. And then there are people like me, who listen to every word and every meaning. 
I don’t think you decide what type of listener you are, and I think it depends on the mood you are in or the situation and the series of events that you are/have been in. 
 Anyways.... a little background information is necessary. As most of you know I recently took the plunge into animal rescue and have finally opened both eyes to the horrifying realities that the animals in shelters and in the hands of the wrong humans face. Let me tell you. IT IS HORRIFYING. Most people turn a bind eye, and as much as I wish they wouldn't, I understand. Most of the pictures are hard too look at and it is hard to walk into a shelter and not want to rescue all of the animals. 
Let me tell you something encouraging. For every person who can’t look, there are people like me who will.  For every person who abuses an animal, there are people like me who will sign the petitions, look at the horrifying pictures and pass it along to ensure that animals gets justice. For every person who can’t walk into the shelter because they want to save them all, there are people like me who will walk in, grab one, and know that ONE IS BETTER THEN NONE. 
I am not superhuman, I do not deserve an award, and I do not seek any recognition. I loose sleep at night knowing what these animals are going through and some images that I have seen are burned permanently into my brain. I do not wish that on anyone.
Let me tell you how you, the person who can’t look, has a huge impact on these same animals. You are the one who adopts the animals from the rescues, this opens up another spot for the ONE lucky shelter dog who can now be saved. You are the one who donates money, materials, and time to the rescues or non-profits and this gives the rescues/ non profits the ability to keep their doors open for the animals. You are the one that will “share” the picture of the dogs that we rescue on your own facebook page to help us find the ONE shelter dog a new forever home. Did you know that when you rescue ONE dog you actually save TWO. You save the life of the dog you rescued, and you also open up a new spot for the next dog. 
It’s OK if you don’t look. I completely understand, and I know exactly how you feel. I know in my heart, that every human who has an ounce of compassion in them wants to help in some way. And I am here to tell you, you are.
Now you are probably asking how this has anything to do with the song “Hands” by Jewel. 
Here are the lyrics....
If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be that we're all OK
And not to worry 'cause worry is wasteful
And useless in times like these
I won't be made useless
I won't be idle with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
For light does the darkness most fear
My hands are small, I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
And I am never broken
Poverty stole your golden shoes
It didn't steal your laughter
And heartache came to visit me
But I knew it wasn't ever after
We'll fight, not out of spite
For someone must stand up for what's right
'Cause where there's a man who has no voice
There ours shall go singing
My hands are small I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
I am never broken
In the end only kindness matters
In the end only kindness matters
I will get down on my knees, and I will pray
I will get down on my knees, and I will pray
I will get down on my knees, and I will pray
My hands are small I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
And I am never broken
My hands are small I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
And I am never broken
We are never broken
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's mind
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's heart
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's eyes
We are God's hands
We are God's hands

     Jewel wrote the lyrics to this song when she was homeless and sick with Kidney issues, see the entire story here, she’s pretty amazing, but that’s besides the point.
I interoperate this song as, in a nutshell, that we are going to be ok, don’t stress yourself into a frenzy, you might only be able to rescue ONE dog at a time, but thats ok. Someone needs to stand up for these voiceless creatures and we must stand up for what is right. My personal favorite line is, In the end, only kindness matters. That really says it all. 
So when I am feeling like I should be doing more. Or when I feel like what I am doing is so insignificant in the big picture. I listen to this song. It helps me feel more at peace and gives me the hope and strength to move forward. Baby steps are ok. As long as you are moving forward
So my friend, this is why you have, and will continue to see “Hands” by Jewel in my Spotify history. But know this- every time you see it, I am moving forward. And thats the direction I want to move. :)

-Britt

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff !! Please join me at askwilliewonka@blogspot.com Maybe we can help each other save more fur babies !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing my friend! Thank you for sharing this powerful post. We each can make a HUGE difference in just taking one step at a time in the right direction. Thank you for sharing the different options and choices we have to help. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete